Every election season, the same scare tactics get trotted out to frighten seniors. They warn of cuts to Social Security and Medicare benefits, and threaten that these programs will be privatized. These are nothing but attacks meant to mislead and confuse people.
Social Security and Medicare are vital programs that seniors count on. These programs need to be protected for current retirees and strengthened for future generations.
In Congress, I have fought to keep the promises we’ve made to our seniors, including:
- Breaking with my party on four occasions to oppose budget proposals that could hurt seniors.
- Opposing a payroll tax holiday that took money away from the Social Security Trust Fund.
- Offering positive solutions to increase efficiency and save money in Medicare rather than cutting benefits.
- Opposing Obamacare Medicare cuts and cuts to home health care that will hurt access to care for seniors.
- Fighting to protect the health care and pensions our coal miners worked for.
Rather than cutting benefits or drastically changing Social Security and Medicare, we should be focusing on ways to strengthen the program by increasing efficiency and rooting out the billions in fraud in the system.